Saturday 5 June 2010

Baby's first week in the city

"I just don't know how you do it." was my mother's response to the tiny house I moved into on Tuesday. It could have been worse. At uni in on moving into my first student house, an unremarkable victorian terrace, she made several Billy Elliot references, just to make sure she got her point across.

But at long last, after months festering in the midlands, I have come to live in a little house in Southmead. I should probably mention a couple of things about myself in case anyone who doesn't know me reads this, extraordinary as that seems right now. I am 24, and a year out of Drama school. I am from South Lincolnshire and prior to Tuesday I had visited Bristol a grand total of six times. Thus I feel slightly DIck Whittington-ish as every day I get up, head into the city centre in search of my fortune (here read 'a job').

So in light of my almost total lack of Bristolian or West Country knowledge I'm using a blog as a sort of online diary documenting my progress. I'm going to try and update it as often as I can, particularly when I've done or seen something or someone, or just if something's on my mind and I feel I can make something vaguely readable of it.

I'm also open to suggestions (within reason, I don't want a criminal record!) from anyone with more knowledge than me about the city, what bars or restaurants to visit, local bands or events that are going on, I will visit all I can and report back.

So my first social event is tonight, heading to see my one Bristolian friend Harriet and see Carol Churchill's new play Far Away. Update on that later, for now I'm baking her some chocolate chip biscuits. Forget flattery, in my experience good food will get you everywhere! Here's the link for the recipe I used, a basic biscuit recipe that can be used in practically any way you like and is brilliantly quick:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3468/basic-biscuit-dough

Alice BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

1 comment:

  1. Take a visit to The Apple on Welsh Back- lovely floating bar/pub with too many ciders to count, and a nice little spot to wile away the hours in the sun. Also, The Old Duke near there, for live jazz whenever you want it...then Biba's cocktail bar, again not far away- quite kitsch with classic Doris Day-type films showing and a nice grand piano too. Restaurants near the water and those places also worth checking out are Severn Shed (good 2 for 1 cocktails and waterside view early evenings) and The Glass Boat. Enjoy the loveliness, and get to Bath for some excellent theatre too! Hope you settle in well xxx

    http://www.glassboat.co.uk/
    http://www.applecider.co.uk/
    http://www.shedrestaurants.co.uk/index.php?page=1

    ReplyDelete