Monday 16 January 2012

Winter is for Afternoon Tea.


Well, hot drinks anyway.

January's not the easiest time of year. Christmas is done, New Years resolutions are looking shaky (chocolate and red wine's looking real good after a cold walk home from a long day at work). Everywhere on the internet, in food magazines and colour supplements folks are trying to get me to eat poached chicken and coleslaw made with vinaigrette, not mayo. Stop it, all of you! If I want to eat salad I will, in a dignified fashion, away from people.

Yes, I overindulged over christmas, actually I overindulged more on New Year's Eve (went back to the Montpelier Basement, eight course extravaganza) but rather than cut back too far on calories or carbs I'm opting for eating lots of the good stuff. There are still plenty of customers to run around after at work and this sudden chilly turn makes me want to curl up with something hot and good for the soul. I don't really like tea, I occasionally find it soothing but never refreshing and these muffins may be low fat but they're also pretty filling.

Gruyere, Courgette and Pine nut muffins.

The base of the muffins I got years ago from Delicious Magazine (always quote your sources) and I find for a savoury muffin it's hands down the easiest formula. Buttermilk's available from big supermarkets but low fat natural yoghurt will do fine. In place of the pancetta, cheddar and spring onion I put in a large, finely grated courgette, about 100g gruyere with extra grated on top and a couple of handfuls of toasted pine nuts. On reflection the gruyere wasn't as strong as I'd hoped, but a good strong one would do. Gorwydd Caerphilly would be lovely or good old mature cheddar.

Hot Spiced Apple and Ginger

I had a glass of hot ginger and apple juice in a cafe in Bristol city centre (it shall remain nameless as service and prices weren't worth celebrating). It hit the spot on a cold day, so much so that I made my own version at home to blow away a cold. Don't be chintzy with the ginger, the warmer the better. If looking for a twist on the classic hot toddy I reckon one might add a little whisky or better still, cider brandy.

enough for 2, or one very thirsty/cold filled person

350ml apple juice, not from concentrate
about 2 inches cubed of fresh ginger, grated
squeeze of lemon juice
1 heaped tsp honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, better still a cinnamon stick
plenty of fresh grated nutmeg

heat up the honey, ginger and lemon slowly in a small saucepan. When bubbles appear pour in the juice, stir to mix with the syrup base and let it continue to heat up slowly.

When the juice hits a simmer add the cinnamon and grate in lots and lots of nutmeg. Let it simmer away for about 5 minutes, give it a taste, add something if you want or let it simmer for another couple of minutes till the scent of spices and ginger fills the kitchen, then pour into two glasses using a tea strainer or sieve.

I'll be back soon with more seasonal recipes and Bristol profiles now the world has righted itself and work isn't stuffed to the gills with office parties. I must admit inspiration's been slow coming as all I wanted to eat the week after christmas was hummus and carrot sticks! However I'm back, baking and ready for dinner.

TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Super post! I'm making savoury muffins as I type...but alas I have no hot Spiced apple and ginger to eat them with - sounds DELICIOUS xx

    ReplyDelete